Miami Vice was a police drama that was shot on location in Miami during the 1980s.
Showing 2692 resultsAuthority record
Fort Jefferson remained a Union stronghold during the Civil War.
Miami-West India Archaeological Society was the Dade County Chapter of the Florida Anthropological Society.
Deaconess Bedell is noted for her work among the Seminole and Miccosukee Indians of Florida between 1933-1960.
The chain of islands in south Biscayne Bay now forming Biscayne National Park was once an incorporated municipality and developer's dream called Islandia. Hotly contested during the 1960s by environmentalists vs. developers, the area was set aside as a national monument in 1968.
Assistant drainage engineer.
Landscape architect,, William Lyman Phillips worked primarily in Florida during the 1920s thru 1950s. A graduate of Harvard, he studied and worked under Frederick Law Olmstead. His commissions included residential, commercial and government projects. Phillips died in North Miami in 1966.
Founded by Ralph O'Neill in 1928-29, the New York, Rio and Buenos Aires Line provided pioneer air travel service to South America, using amphibian planes. O'Neill ran the airline until it merged with Pan Am in the early 1930s. Jane Galbraith, executive secretary of the airlines wrote and annotated the log.
President of the United States and Major-General.
Pinewood Cemetery is Miami-Dade County's oldest known cemetery. From the mid 1800s it was the burial ground for pioneers from as far south as Perrine. The cemetery is no longer used for internments.
Rosston served in the Spanish-Cuban-American War.
The Burdine's Boulevard Shop located directly to the north of the building was annexed by Sears in the 1930s.
NAS Miami consisted of the original training base, known as Mainside or Opa-locka, Miami Municipal Field and Masters Field. Activity continued on a reduced basis after the war. Masters Field became Marine Corps Air Station Miami (MCAS Miami). MCAS Miami was closed in 1959, the property was transferred to Dade County, and the Dade County Junior College opened there in 1961. In 1962 the remainder of the NAS property, except for a portion reserved for the U. S. Coast Guard, was transferred to Dade County, and became Opa-locka Airport.
The City of North Miami commissioned this history.
The Florida Penisula was under the jurisdiction of The Seventh Naval District during World War I. The primary activity was the training of submarines and aircraft at Key West and Miami. The headquarters was located in Key West.