Report was presented by Dr. Wilbanks, of Florida International University's Department of Criminal Justice, at the meeting of the American Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, 1992 March 13.
Showing 2692 resultsAuthority record
Charles and Isabella Peacock operated the Bay View House in Coconut Grove. Better known as Peacock Inn, it was the South Florida mainland's first hotel.
Attorney. Former member of Florida House and Senate.
F. C. B. LeGro was a founding partner of the Bay Biscayne Improvement Company along with
The Miami Deep Water Society was a "corporation, not for profit, formed to secure an adequate deep water channel and harbor improvements for the City of Miami and Dade County..." -- Letterhead, 1914. Its efforts to make Miami a deep water port brought the corporation into conflict with the Ocean Beach Realty Company, whose interest lay on the Miami Beach side.
Audubon visited northeast Florida during the winter of 1831-1832, spending most of his time in Saint Augustine and on the Bulow plantation, near present-day Ormond Beach. This letter was written while he was staying on the Bulow plantation.
Richard Fitzpatrick acquired land grants in the Miami area between 1830 and 1835 and began developing a plantation, which he abandoned during the Second Seminole War. He conveyed his holdings to his nephew William F. English in 1843.
James Buck settled in Coconut Grove, 1877-1878. After six months of pioneer life, he returned to Massachusetts and wrote Biscayne Sketches.
William Keegin and Curtis Holcomb were partners in a law firm and involved in the proceedings on the Perrine Grant.
Audit was prepared for the company's trustees, Shutts, Smith and Bowenby the accounting firm of Pentland, Purvis, Keller and Milton.
The North-South tournaments was founded by Ray Mitchell to meet the needs of African American golfers after World War II, as the few segregated municipal courses and privately owned African American courses were insufficient to meet the growing demand among players. Jacksonville was the original venue, but the event moved to larger facilities at the Miami Springs Golf Course in 1955.
Funeral director. Pinewood, one of the oldest cemeteries in Miami-Dade County, is located on Erwin Road near Sunset Drive. While neglected when Philbrick gathered these papers, it has since been restored.
Commercial photographer in the Miami area. Romer's photographs were subsequently acquired by Miami-Dade Public Library.
Physician. Eleanor Galt Simmons came to Coconut Grove in the 1890s, and for many years was the only woman doctor in the area.
F. W. Wright was attached to the USS Bache, surveying the channels of the Tortugas and the Everglades area bordering the Florida coast. He photographed the Maine from the ship's deck shortly after the explosion.